Wednesday, September 2, 2009

All is fair in love and war...

Why this title? I hear it used but I'm still not completely sure what it means. It makes me wonder how much we say, hope for and think about is really understood. Yet, we want it so bad. We want it right now. Give it to me!! We whine. It's too hot. It's too cold. Not enough rain..too much rain! Stay. Go. I want you....or do I? Human nature can be so fickle...and yet so determined.

According to WikiAnswers, All is Fair in Love and War actually comes from an original quote by John Lyly's 'Eupheus' "The rules of fair play do not apply in love and war". Now that I can understand... a little better..I think. So as children we are taught to be fair, to share, to treat our neighbor as we want to be treated. And then we grow up. And we are assaulted by backstabbing friends, broken hearts and lies. Our world slowly crumbling before us. And then we learn to cope...vices, denial, anger, stress, yoga, chocolate, church. The VOID becoming greater. Or maybe we mold ourselves, change even if ever so slightly to make ourselves acceptable, palatable, digestible. Playing tug of war...with each other..with ourselves!

Call me old fashioned, weak or dumb but, I still choose to take the high road or the Road Less Traveled as Robert Frost calls it. This road is definitely not for the faint at heart. The path sometimes gets so windy and steep that not even our closes friend can walk side by side with us. And then there are times that the fog gets so dense that we can't even see our own hands. It can be lonely at times...the journey. While on this road we may meet those who live by the mantra "All is fair in love and war". No, let me restate that..On this road we WILL meet those who live solely for themselves. Be aware, stay focused and remember your childhood lessons.

I attended a funeral last week of an 85 year old great grandmother. She left this parting message to be shared with all ..."Keep your heart pure which includes treating each other and yourself kindly".

Be Blessed

1 comment:

  1. I absolutly love this blog. I am so for following your every blog. I know it may take me a while to get to reading these but know that when I do get to them they are right on time. I love you chica... keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete

New Season, new blog

 It is a season of new beginnings for me.  I started a new blog on a different platform  www.jodisjoy.com  you can find it by clicking the l...