Sunday, December 1, 2013

Unleashing the greatness within

I'm in a transitional time in my life. I am the parent of a high school Senior. I have no other children. Soon I will no longer be tied to a school district or someone else's schedule. Gently yet swiftly, my life is unfolding right before my eyes. During this season, he and I both have the opportunity to spread our wings a bit further. When the Mama Eagle nudges her baby out of the nest, not only is she encouraging her offspring to fly, she has now liberated herself to take flight. She is free from carrying anyone else.

I'd be lying if I didn't admit it is a bit frightening. But, I do believe that it is the type of scary that naturally accompanies the most wonderful opportunities. I'm glad I'm learning that courage is not the absence of fear but rather, the moving in spite of. So, here I am walking towards an open door wondering where this part of my journey will take me yet, fully confident that life is about to get really good. What are my next steps? What is my plan? 

I woke up this morning from a very interesting dream. I was attending a conference, a sort of book club to discuss Daring Greatly with the author Brene Brown. All manner of craziness also took part in said dream like a child's broom, a reference to a garage door and a rather lively parade in New Orleans. I need more time to make sense of those things. Daring greatly however, speaks to me. I own the book and am currently about half way through. Busyness has caused me to put it down. Guess it's time to pick it back up.

I recently read that sometimes it's not so much what happens in a dream but the feelings we carry during its scenes. I felt hopeful, inspired, creative and on the brink of something really great. Aha, I felt like I was in the throws of Daring Greatly. I am in the arena of my life unsure of what success will come my way yet, inspired by the fact that I am relentlessly participating in the manifestation of my own joy as spoken of in Eat, Pray, Love. I am the Master of my fate, I am the Captain of my soul as Hensley so eloquently states in Invictus. And thus I have no choice but to ponder Mary Oliver's poetic question "Tell me (Jodi, feel free to insert your name), what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”.

For today, only today, in this present moment, my answer is that I will dare to create my bliss, my joy, the life of my dreams. I will show up as my whole self even when my self feels broken and shattered. I will answer life's call with "here I am, choose me. I am willing to dare greatly". Sometimes daring greatly looks like taking my nieces to a tea party, reaching out to a hurting friend, showing up to that art class or dancing with total abandon. Daring greatly is a way to Thanks-live rather than just Thanks-give. Daring Greatly is simply being all of myself.
It means that I show up ready to do the work. Ready to love. Ready to spread joy. Ready to create peace. Daring greatly always begins within.

How will you dare greatly during this Holiday Season? How will you show up in your own life?

Peace and blessings,
J~

1 comment:

  1. Like the old saying goes, Jodi, you've "paid your dues." I'm sure your son has appreciated all that you've done for him.

    Now, it's time for you to live your life and enjoy it. You don't know how much my siblings and I tried to get my mother to realize there is a life to be led after you have raised your children.

    Don't fall into that trap because there is no way to free yourself.

    ReplyDelete

New Season, new blog

 It is a season of new beginnings for me.  I started a new blog on a different platform  www.jodisjoy.com  you can find it by clicking the l...