Sunday, August 22, 2010

The Beauty of Age

Americans are funny. We value youth and have very little use or respect for our elders. Now of course I am making a gross generalization but, it is true. We spend goo gobs of money on lotions and potions to revitalize, renew and restructure our physical selves. And unfortunately, maybe almost conveniently neglect developing our integrity, wisdom and grace.
The last few weekends, I have spent time with my grandmothers and great aunts. Listening, absorbing and relishing their presence. I am grateful to know them. And, I honor their strength, courage and grace. They know from whence they came and also look at the life they have left. They possess a natural beauty, giving hearts and resilient spirits. These women no longer make apologies or excuses. It is obvious from the look in their eyes and the confidence of their stance that they know a thing or two about living.
I usually write about my lessons on romantic love as I walk my journey. Well, this piece will be no different. I have come to understand that one of the most attractive characteristic a woman can have is her confidence. While I am fully aware that men are visual. I also believe the words of Sophia Loren "Sex appeal is 50% what you got and 50% what they think you got"! I have spent long enough self-deprecating.
Last week at our 36th Annual Family Picnic, I met a relative I never knew I had. At 71 years old, Geraldine, mother of 10, grandmother to 37 and great grandmother to 11 showed us younger women how to properly 2nd line. Think New Orleans, umbrellas, handkerchiefs and the band marching better yet dancing down the street. Oh, she has moves honey. There she was in all of her 71 years of glory, unashamedly, rhythmically moving to the most appropriate song "Do Whatcha Wanna"!

The following day, My Granny Rosemary turned 83 years old. As we sat and waited with her birthday candles lit, the whole family knew she must be reapplying her lipstick and combing her hair. Sure enough. Her sister, Robertine, turned to me and said "I think she would make the good Lord wait for her while she fixes herself up"!

Aunt Robertine also joined us from New Orleans. At the end of every picnic, we give individuals the opportunity to share anything they may be grateful for. She said that she was thankful, even though she lost everything in Katrina, she felt blessed.

I spent this past weekend with my Nana in San Diego. At 81, she is on a bowling league at the Navy base. She is my traveling partner and she is not lacking in suitors. She is hardworking. Cleaned her carpets on Friday. But, she also knows how to play hard. She received a visit from another Grandmother of mine, Dorothy Massengale. Grandma Massengale complained to Nana that her family "freaked out" when she ordered a drink while vacationing in Las Vegas. Nana swiftly replied, "do what I do. Tell them, I will respect your house by not drinking in it. But, in my own house and on vacation, I do what I please". You gotta love a woman who tells it like it is.

My reality check came when I was talking to Grandma Massengale. She began asking me about my love life. And then she says "Please don't be like me Jodi"! She told me with an unwavering sincerity "to live, to travel for pleasure's sake and to find real companionship with a nice gentleman". Even now while, I write this, I can recall the pleading tone in her voice.
I am in charge of my journey. I am in charge of opening myself enough to fully experience the people, places and events which will shape me into becoming bold and beautiful. In order for me to ensure that when I reach my 80's, I am full of life, is to really  start living. It is to face my fears, to challenge myself and to become free enough to do what I wanna! It makes me think back to one of my favorite lines from Elizabeth Gilbert's Eat, Pray, Love. "I was not rescued by a Prince. I was the administrator of my own rescue". Some people have a hard time digesting this line. But, I get it, and not as some new agey, mind freak thing. I have within me the power to create the life I envision for myself. If I don't like something, I can change it.
Tonight, one of my feminine role models passed away. Eloise Ford was 95 years old. She was the mother/grandmother of my friend Angela. She taught me the true meaning of taking care of a household and her man. And she always looked stylish doing it. Thank you Grandma for the seeds you planted.

6 comments:

  1. Thank you.....Sherrill

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Ladies...One day this will be us, passing our wisdom down to the younger generations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eloquent as always Jodi-the more you share about your family the more I understand why you are the special person that you are-it's obvious that you come from a long tradition of well-educated, strong,and resourceful women who teach by graceful example-love the photos too!
    Mariellen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww sweet Mary Wells. From the bottom of my heart..thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lessons learned, applied and taught! Use what you have!

    ReplyDelete

New Season, new blog

 It is a season of new beginnings for me.  I started a new blog on a different platform  www.jodisjoy.com  you can find it by clicking the l...