Sunday, December 20, 2009

Chemistry....



I decided to make cookies as a surprise for my mom's birthday. Normally, I start by taking two sticks of butter out of the fridge. To all of my Betty's or Martha's out there, you would instantly know that's the start to the Toll House Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe (there will be a quiz at the end). Wanting to break free from the humdrum, I decided to be lazily adventurous. My friend (who shall remain nameless) shared a cake cookie with me recently that was surprisingly delicious. Eager to please, I bought a box of Funfetti Cake Mix...you know, the one with the little multi-colored sprinkles? How perfect and well, fun!

I call her up and say "Hey (friend who shall remain nameless), what is the recipe for the cake cookies?". Friend Doe then replies " Oh girl, it's soooo easy. 1 box of cake mix any flavor and 1 stick of melted butter. Mix. Form into little balls. Bake." Do you need eggs I say to friend who shall remain nameless. "OH NO GIRL, YOU HAVE EVERYTHING YOU NEED WITH THOSE TWO INGREDIENTS"! Voila, cake cookies....UM NO...more like cookie rocks. I call her frantically trying to figure out why my cookies didn't taste like her cookies. What don't I have that she has? What am I missing? If I follow a recipe correctly, shouldn't my results be guaranteed? Friend who shall remain nameless was adamant that all I need is 1 just 1 stick of melted butter and 1 cake mix any flavor. I did see a recipe on the box for cake cookies but, why follow that when my friend's cookies were delicious? Written instructions ignored. No cake cookies...something is just not right.

24 hours a later, friend who shall remain nameless called another friend, who happily informed her that the recipe does in fact call for 1 cake mix, 1 stick of melted butter and uh yeah..two eggs!


Chemistry, it's really rather simple..without the presence of the eggs, the formula just won't work.

This made me think about the composition of ingredients in my relationships. He may have the right job, take me on the right dates, be the right age, say all of the right things yet something is missing. I know I know. Some of you are concerned that I am too picky. Standards too high. But, I don't think so. I am missing huevos!

Last week, I watched Serendipity for like the millionth time. I love that word-Serendipity. It sounds distinguished and intelligent, yet ends with a dipity and that's the fun. It means an aptitude for making desirable discoveries by accident. And isn't that fun..desirable discoveries by accident?

One day, I will exclaim that during all my waiting, searching, traveling, meeting people, organizing events, reconnecting with friends, I met someone. Not just any someone....

 I learned a lot from my experience with that terrible batch of cookies. 1.) Celebrate life and show your appreciation. 2.)You'll get by with a little help from your friends. 3.) When listening to your friends' advice pay attention to the written instructions(bible) and your gut instinct. 4.) Follow them with a strong conviction. 5.) When you make a bad batch, don't be afraid to start all over.

The chemistry, the recipe, the combination just has to be right.....






3 comments:

  1. Love, Love, Love IT!!!! This was so good! I swear everytime I read one of your posting it reminds me of like !3 going on 30, or Sex in the City and all the other journalist that write real life stories for women. You should've really looked into journalism (maybe still should!) Thank you for sharing yet another great lifes lesson. I love you girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much sis...maybe it means I watch too much TV..maybe I can turn my blogs into a book?????

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such truth and laughs!!! Thanks for the lesson and recipe!

    ReplyDelete

New Season, new blog

 It is a season of new beginnings for me.  I started a new blog on a different platform  www.jodisjoy.com  you can find it by clicking the l...